The Mazza Law Group, P.C.
Helen A. Stolinas
Attorney Helen Stolinas has been practicing in the field of criminal defense since 1993, when she became an Assistant Public Defender in Bradford County, Pennsylvania. In 2001, she was promoted to Chief Public Defender, and remained in that position for over 14 years. During her tenure in the Public Defender’s office, she represented thousands of individuals in matters ranging in seriousness from summary and misdemeanor offenses, up to and including capital homicides.
While working in the Public Defender’s Office, Helen became involved with the Public Defender’s Association of Pennsylvania, eventually being elected President of that organization.
In January, 2016, Helen joined The Mazza Law Group, where she continues to practice Criminal Defense, as well as Immigration and Civil Litigation.
Some results Helen has received, as a Public Defender, and in private practice:
- Not guilty verdict for charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault and simple assault in case involving serious injuries caused by the use of a knife in self-defense;
- Not guilty verdict for multiple counts of sexual abuse against three adolescents in a retrial- her client was found guilty after his original trial while he was represented by another attorney. After being granted a new trial, Helen represented him at jury trial and he was acquitted and released after spending five years in prison.
- Not guilty verdict for client charged with driving under the influence of synthetic marijuana.
- Not guilty verdict for client charged with multiple counts of distribution of methamphetamine.
- Not guilty verdict on charges of Child Endangerment and Simple Assault. The prosecution withdrew charges of Aggravated Assault before the trial even began.
- “Life” sentence imposed following her representation of a client during the penalty phase of a capital homicide trial which involved the death of three victims.
Helen has also successfully argued for the restoration of clients’ firearm rights by obtaining expungement of mental health commitment records.
Having argued before the Superior and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania, Helen has had success in a number of matters, including most recently Grove v. PSP…., which upheld a lower court ruling mandating that the State Police provide dashcam video under the Right to Know Law.
Since joining the Mazza Law Group, Helen has had the opportunity to practice Immigration Law as well. Among other areas, she has been able to assist clients in obtaining lawful permanent resident status, and help students whose visas have been revoked due to criminal conduct.
- Pennsylvania, 1992
- Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2018
- Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- J.D. – 1992
- Lock Haven University, Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
- B.A., English – 1989
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Centre County Bar Association
- Wilkinson Campbell Inn of Court
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Past Employment Positions
- Staff Attorney, Centre County Women’s Resource Center (Now CentreSafe) 2016-2017
- Chief Public Defender, Bradford County, Pennsylvania 1993 – 2015
- Adjunct Faculty Instructor, Mansfield University, Mansfield, Pennsylvania, 2009-2013
- Instructor, Lackawanna College, Towanda, Pennsylvania, 1994-2004
Immigration Attorney, Helen Stolinas can assist you with:
- Green Cards (Lawful Permanent Resident)
- Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas, such as:
- Family Visas
- Fiancé Visas
- Employment Visas
- Student Visas
- Adjustment of Status
- Consequences of Criminal Convictions
- Inadmissibility Waivers
- Removal Proceedings
- Cancellation of Removal
- Temporary Protected Status
- Advance Parole