Criminal Defense Lawyer
Looking for a Criminal Defense Lawyer? It’s easy to forget how important basic freedoms are until they are threatened. When your freedom is in jeopardy, you need the help of an experienced attorney. Our firm can help you protect your rights and your freedom. We will be a valuable ally in your case, creating a strong defense and working toward the best possible outcome.
Since 1956, The Mazza Law Group, P.C., in State College, Pennsylvania has provided experienced legal representation for individuals throughout the community and surrounding areas. Our criminal lawyers are skilled inside and outside the courtroom. We help you understand the implications of your situation and provide our best advice in your criminal matter. Whatever your situation, a criminal lawyer will work to obtain the best possible result, whether it be a dismissal or acquittal, placement in a diversionary program, or an agreement reducing the severity of the charge and/or the sentence.
Whether you have been charged with a minor traffic violation or a serious felony, our attorneys are skilled at handling a broad range of criminal matters, including:
- Underage Offenses
- DUI/ DWI
- Assault Offenses
- Theft Offenses
- Traffic offenses
- Repeat Offenses
- Prosecutorial Overreach & Misconduct
- Sexual Offenses
- Student Conduct
- Controlled Substance Offenses
- Penn State is consistently ranked as a top party school by numerous popular magazines. With roughly 40,000 college students, some of whom are away from home for the first time, mistakes are common. Don’t let a seemingly small mishap taint your future. Being charged with an underage offense can have severe consequences including fines, license suspension, a permanent criminal record, and increased automobile insurance rates.
- With legal counsel the consequences of an underage offense can be mitigated, and allow you to move on with your life without having to relive the mistake at every job interview.
Driving Under the Influence Offenses
- A DUI conviction can result in incarceration, license suspension, heavy fines, probation, a permanent record, and increased automobile insurance rates. It is important to speak with an attorney immediately after being charged for DUI in order to protect your rights, weigh your options, and lessen the negative consequences associated with the offense.
- There are first-time offender programs available that can significantly reduce the severity of the penalties associated with a DUI if you qualify.
- The penalties associated with a second or subsequent DUI increase considerably and thus require a great deal of care. With a skilled advocate to help you navigate through the criminal justice system, the loss of liberty and financial costs associated with a second DUI can be drastically reduced. If you have been charged, you should be aware of your options and contact an attorney at once.
- Assault and similar offenses in Pennsylvania are serious. These offenses may be misdemeanors or felonies. Penalties range from mere probation to as much as 20 years in prison, along with heavy fines, a permanent criminal record, and negative publicity if the story is picked up by a local newspaper.
- Often an assault charge stems from a fight that was mutual, or you may have even been acting in self-defense, but the other party simply called the police first. There are numerous defenses available to challenge an assault charge or reduce the severity of the offense to one with fewer negative consequences.
- Theft offenses in Pennsylvania cover a wide range of conduct, and you may be charged with a theft offense without having the culpable intent required for conviction. The penalties for theft offenses are stiff, as the offenses range from misdemeanors to felonies. If charged or even informed that you are under investigation, you should consult an attorney at once.
- With legal counsel a theft offense may be successfully defended or reduced, and allow you to move on with your life without having to relive the allegation at every job interview.
- Being cited for speeding, careless or reckless driving, or other moving violations may seem like a small matter but for some individuals, such as truck drivers, even the least serious offense can have significant consequences. Our attorneys can present defenses which may be available to lessen or defeat the charge. It is important to speak with an attorney immediately after being cited with a moving violation in order to protect your rights, weigh your options, and lessen the negative consequences associated with the offense.
- Traffic violations can add points to your driving record. The accumulation of points can have serious consequences including the automatic suspension of driving privileges, increased automobile insurance rates, and requiring the driver to complete tests.
- Points will not be added to a driving record until the driver is convicted. Thus, a not guilty plea may be advisable in order to prevent the points from being assessed.
Marijuana and Other Drug Offenses
Although medical marijuana has been legalized in Pennsylvania, possession and distribution of marijuana and other drugs can lead to significant criminal and collateral penalties, like fines, incarceration, driver’s license suspension, and forfeiture of assets. If you are under investigation or have been charged with a controlled substance offense, it is important to contact an attorney immediately. Our criminal defense lawyers will analyze your case, including the probable cause for any search, to determine the best defense strategy to limit the negative consequences of the charges.
If you have been charged with a criminal action in State College, Bellefonte, Lemont, Pine Grove Mills, or across Central Pennsylvania, you need to seek an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. For more information see Centre County Criminal Defense. You do not want to leave your future to chance. Your freedom, your assets, and your reputation are valuable – Contact us today.