NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS FOR DIVORCE IN 2020
If you struggled through the stress of the holidays while preparing yourself for a divorce in 2020, you are not alone. Many couples choose to stick it out even when they are not getting along, waiting for a new year and a fresh start.
Here are some suggested New Year’s Resolutions to help you through separation and divorce in 2020.
- Consult with an attorney to learn about the legal process. A divorce can mean more than getting a piece of paper that says you are no longer married. You might need to seek an equitable distribution of marital property or request financial help from your spouse while you are preparing for independence.
- Try talking to your spouse. The decision to change your vows is a difficult topic to discuss without an argument. If it is possible to have a rational conversation, plan a time to sit down together and make joint decisions about living arrangements and finances. If you have the ability to work together and design an agreement that is fair to both of you, the divorce process can happen more quickly and smoothly.
- Learn how to co-parent. If you have children, resolve to leave them out of it. You are going to be raising the children as co-parents even when you are no longer living together as a family in one household. They should not be caught in the middle of disputes about custody or divorce.
- Plan your financial future. It may be helpful to make a budget and re-evaluate your spending priorities. If necessary, seek the help of a financial advisor. There are changes to be made when living in two separate households, but the resulting financial independence can be rewarding if you prepare for it.
- Take care of yourself. Remember to stay active and social while you are going through a divorce. You should include others in your life to avoid the unwelcome stress and depression that can become overwhelming. Rely on your friends for support. See a therapist. Do whatever it takes to make your divorce liberating rather than debilitating.
Ending your marriage isn’t easy any time of year. If you are ready to move forward to a new chapter in your life, turn the calendar page to a new month and a new decade. Start with Resolution #1 and talk to an attorney at the Mazza Law Group for advice about divorce and family law issues.
Happy New Year!